Is Sleep a luxury? As our world has become more modern, more convenient and more well, fast paced sleeping seems to be, more of a luxury than a necessity. We can take pills to quickly put us to sleep and all kinds of drinks and foods to keep us awake. We can regulate our bodies for 20 hour work days and 4 hours of rest, or any combination thereof. With hundreds of TV stations on 24 hours, movies on demand, internet, anytime, anywhere, there just seems like so many better things to do than sleep. Even little kids know that it's usually much more fun to stay up late, than to go to bed.
Yes, but our genetics tell us we need 8-9 hours of sleep every night. Sorry, overriding genetics on this issue will only deteriorate your health. Here are the highlights from an eight page report about sleeping well from the Mayo Clinic.
- Sleep isn’t a luxury, it is a necessity.
- Restful sleep is just as important to health as adequate nutrition and exercise.
- Sleep is necessary to think clearly.
- Studies have shown that being well rested improves the body’s response to infection.
- Evidence suggests that brains are hard at work during sleep, possibly forming the pathways necessary for learning, making new memories and insights, and coming up with creative solutions to problems.
- Inadequate sleep is linked to depression and irritability as well as diabetes, weight problems and cravings for high-calorie, high-carbohydrate foods.
- Sleep problems often can be treated, sleep aids can be both behavioral and medications.
- In fact, sleep problems often can be traced to treatable health issues. Examples include poor pain control, frequent nighttime urination, or illnesses that cause coughing or shortness of breath.
- Insomnia and depression often go hand in hand: Many people develop insomnia prior to being depressed. Studies show that unresolved insomnia increases the risk of depression. It’s not clear if one causes the other, but each can worsen if untreated.
- Antidepressants may have stimulating properties and make insomnia worse. Prescription sleep aids are designed for short term use.
We believe in natural sleep aids here at Pac Herbs. Our iSleep Herb Pac will help you rest and feel rejuvenated the next day. Get the sleep your body needs to stay healthy, because sleeping is not just a luxury but a necessity for wellness. Checkout our all natural iSleep Herb Pac, an herbal formula used in Asian cultures for thousands of years.
Comments are closed.